Presentation Skills Conference
$39.00 – $189.00
- Session 1: 8:30-9:30am CST
- Session 2: 10:00a-12:00pm CST
- Session 3: 1:00-4:00pm CST
Join us all day, or just for the session you need!
Presentation Skills - 3 Part Conference WHOLE DAY
The ability to present your message well is a key indicator of individual success in an organizational context, but many of us take those skills too lightly and don’t invest the time and development necessary to master our presentation skills. Effective presentations require a commitment to communication skills that are often overlooked in everyday interactions. Effective presentations require an awareness of the purpose of the presentation, the strengths and needs of both the presenter and the audience, and a clear plan for success. Beyond the presentation skill basics of the critical first impression, the image you present through your attire and handshake and tone of voice, this session gives you multiple chances to master the critical success factors of presenting well.
In an environment designed to foster skill practice and safe and effective feedback, we’ll practice with a reusable model to help you plan well, open on the right foot, deliver all and only the content needed to effectively achieve your goal, and close with the appropriate call to action. We’ll cover the art of storytelling as well as focus on both asking questions and answering questions well during a presentation. We’ll even practice presentation risk-management and recovering when things go awry.
Included in this full-day workshop are multiple opportunities for self-reflection, multiple chances to practice key components of your presentation, and a wide variety of reusable tools and tips designed to help you deliver even better presentations going forward.
- Identify your own strengths and challenge areas for presenting well in the situations that matter most to you
- Practice using a communication planning model to identify and manage your purpose, your preference, your audience, and your plan
- Gain tips and skill practice for engaging and connecting with different audiences
- Work with the various aspects of a presentation model that ensures effective delivery with minimal pain
- Anticipate and gain techniques to overcome or recover from common presentation obstacles and pain points
Speaking and Presenting Tips (1 hr) - 8:30-9:30a
Many of us might not consider “presenting” as part of our job description -- we’re individual contributors, behind-the-scenes people, 1:1 people, communicators, who would maybe be willing to entertain the title of “facilitator” once in a while, but we do not consider ourselves to be a person who requires anything resembling “presentation skills.” And yet, how many of us have had a Great Idea that didn’t go anywhere because we didn’t “sell” it? Maybe you’re sitting on one right now! The fact of the matter is that even though we might not stand behind a podium, clicker in hand, we still have something to “pitch” -- a recommendation, a solution, a process or modification, ourselves in an interview.
This session offers ways to make your point and keep your cool, from first impressions to the wrap-up. Even if presenting isn’t the bread and butter of your job, you’ll feel a lot more confident with some tricks up your sleeve the next time you find yourself in a conference room or on a Zoom call with all eyes on you.
- Describe key ingredients of a successful presentation and characteristics of a good presenter
- Demonstrate the power of in-person and virtual nonverbal communication “dos and don’ts”
- Gain tips and techniques to overcome (or work around) the fear of public speaking
Applied Storytelling (2 hr) - 10:00a-12:00p
One of the toughest parts about presenting or public speaking is connecting with your audience, and perhaps the simplest and most powerful thing that connects human beings to each other is stories. If your goal is to convince or inspire, a key ingredient in your presentation is a story that your audience will remember and relate to.
In this session, you’ll learn how to effectively share your story from start to finish without losing the plot. A well-told story can be invaluable to getting your point across and inspiring others, but a good idea or story doesn’t sell itself--it’s the storyteller that does the heavy lifting! Learn and practice proven techniques to connect with your audience through the art of a good, memorable story.
- Identify how to structure your story: opening, core, and close
- Explore the fundamentals of effective delivery and recovery
- Try keys to engaging and connecting with audience
Tips on Mastering Your Presentation Skills (3 hr) - 1:00-4:00p
This course builds on a solid foundation of effective presentation skills that will take you from “good” to “great”. You’ll learn tips and tricks to engage your audience, whether they’re in the room or on the web, with opportunities to give it a try. Beyond “first-impression” basics, we’ll get into tips on “extras” -- the handouts, the slides, and the follow-up!
This session is packed with tactical tools and tips, with real time practice and in-the-moment feedback so you can try them on and adapt to make them fit your natural style. A good presentation is a 360-degree engagement, and we’ll explore effective presentation skills from every angle so you can make the most of your audience’s minutes and leave them wanting more, and willing to take that next step.
- Plan effectively for your very next presentation
- Open well and set the appropriate tone for the session
- Engage with the audience in a way that is meaningful for them
- Close the presentation well with a call to action that supports your primary goal
- Receive feedback to help you be even better next time