- Create opportunities for on-going reflection of how you are demonstrating your leadership through actions and behaviors, and use this reflection to create/show your authentic self.
- Build and apply self-awareness in a manner that moves others to follow you because they want to, not because they have to (i.e., out of commitment, not compliance).
- Develop a mindset of reflective leadership to help you incorporate a “responsive” vs. “reactive” approach to managing and leading others.
Building Your Leadership Effectiveness
6-part Virtual Leadership Training
Updated and optimized for virtual delivery, this leadership series is a valuable opportunity for a leader to take an objective look at themselves as a leader so they can help grow the people around them—they’ll discover crucial skills for leaders, from self-awareness and influence, to delegation and driving performance.
With a tighter focus on the bottom line and streamlining organizations, it’s easy to forget about the people-part of the business, but as a leader, a big chunk of your job description is managing performance, developing your team and staff, and helping them grow, as employees and as people.
Divided into 5 to 7 sections (depending on your needs) that get at key pieces of leadership, this series leaves room to grow and reflect between courses to get the most out of your time, money, and learning. We’ll work with you to pick the right modules to give you and your team value.
Successfully delivered to more than 1800 leaders
What past participants had to say about Building Your Leadership Effectiveness
“Worth the investment in time and attention”
“A great way to reflect on your own idea of leadership, gauge where you are and then apply lessons learned in the classes immediately”
“Eye-opening and refreshing”
“Would definitely recommend this to others”
“Fascinating way to reflect on how you are influenced as well as how you influence”
“Be ready to think outside the box as you will learn new things about yourself to help you grow”
Meet Your Trainer
Faye Howard is a connector, an encourager and is intentional about positively impacting those around her. Faye has her master’s degree in Training and Development and has held multiple roles in training, curriculum design, customer service and marketing throughout her 20+ year career. The “Maximizer” in her comes out as she teaches and influences people to be a better version of themselves, motivating them to leave a positive, lasting impact on others. Faye is currently a Marketing Support Specialist at Pella Corporation where she ensures the Pella brand is represented consistently, accurately, and proudly across multiple business segments.
Learn more about Faye here.
Contact us today!
We can bring this to you either in-person (if it’s safe) or virtually! We’ll help you customize the modules you need to make your leaders the best they can be for themselves and they organization.
About the Sessions
1. Developing and Applying Self-Awareness
This session will focus on creating a stronger understanding of self-awareness and its importance in the initial development and application of leadership effectiveness. Understanding your behaviors, emotions, and natural tendencies is the key to being effective when interacting with others. Whether your role is that of an individual contributor or one that leads others, using in-the-moment self-awareness to positively direct your behavior creates the opportunity to build credibility and authenticity.
Through small-and larger-group discussion, application activities, completion of the BestWorkDATA assessment, and reflection, this session provides participants the opportunity to understand the impact of emotional self-awareness (perceiving your emotions and staying aware of them as they happen) and apply this concept through relational self-awareness (acknowledging emotions in other people and using this awareness to manage the situation/relationship).
- Introduce and begin completion of a leadership profile to identify natural tendencies, challenged areas, blind spots, and emotional triggers
- Introduce BestWorkData Assessment results
- Define (effective) leadership
- Build confidence when leading others
2. Coaching In Relationships
Building on the concepts from the Developing and Applying Self-Awareness (Session 1), you’ll learn the approaches to effective coaching and build confidence in how you prepare for interactions with others. Using the Coaching for Success model as a framework, the session will focus specifically on developing your ability to approach and facilitate coaching conversations with other individuals on your team or across the organization. The first half of this session will focus on building and enhancing core interaction and coaching skills. The second half will incorporate a team-based application activity centered on using these concepts in specific and reality-based scenarios.
- Continue work on completion of a leadership profile using the BestWorkDATA assessment data and a focus on coaching style
- Build and enhance core interaction and coaching skills
- Practice having productive conversations when the topic is focused on success
- Apply what you learned to prepare for and manage through difficult conversations
- Practice picking up on emotions in other people and understanding what’s really going on
3. Giving and Receiving Feedback
Giving feedback in a manner that is helpful, not hurtful, can create hesitation and anxiety. This is particularly true when the feedback is part of a difficult or tension-filled dialogue. Building upon the Coaching for Success model, and introducing the WHEN model, participants will learn tips and techniques in how to effectively reflect, prepare, start, manage, and end a conversation when you are giving positive as well as constructive feedback. Participants will also complete a simple assessment for reflection to explore ways to be in-the-moment when receiving feedback, and how you can build a mindset of reflection to help you understand the intent, gain clarity on actions/behaviors being discussed, and use the feedback to help you be successful.
- Continue work on completion of a leadership profile using the BestWorkDATA assessment data and a focus on giving/receiving feedback
- Learn to use the fundamentals of feedback as a framework for how you approach sharing thoughts, observations, ideas, recommendations, and perspectives
- Leverage the WHEN model to help in your approach effectively work through the “feedback cycle” (reflection, preparation, starting, managing, and ending a dialogue when giving feedback)
- Learn tips to establish purpose and intent during the first 20-seconds of an interaction when giving feedback
- Learn tips and techniques to listen to understand the other’s intent when receiving feedback
4. Driving Performance
Collaboratively discussing and establishing aligned goals/objectives with your employees is critical to their individual success and your success as an organization or team. Once you set those goals, how do you deliver meaningful feedback to help your employees learn and be successful? Using the concept of “managing the right performance cycle,” you’ll learn tips, techniques and approaches to build credibility and effectiveness in how to prepare for and manage key processes within the performance management cycle. You’ll explore how to drive performance in those around you through small- and large-group dialogue, team-based simulations and activities, and individual reflection.
- Learn to set and focus on the “right” goals
- Focus on documenting the “right” information, including the 6 key components to effective documentation and how to use them in conversation
- Practice collecting and sharing the “right” feedback and holding great appraisal discussions
- Learn to make the “right” updates/adjustments and how to be proactive and fair when updating goals
5. Delegating Effectively
- Gain a better understanding of the levels of delegation and where they are appropriate
- Discover common barriers to effective delegation and how to avoid them
- Examine the Effective Delegation model and learn steps to ensure you are delegating to empower
- Apply the delegation concepts to build confidence
6. Developing People
Developing your employees and leaders not only advances their personal growth but also contributes to your organization’s success. When development is done right, you create buy-in from your workforce and prepare your organization for future opportunities and challenges. Using the Developing Others model and a strategic mindset as the framework, along with small- and large-group discussion, application, and reflection, you’ll learn how to coach, guide, inspire, and hold others accountable in their aspirations through an intentional approach to development discussions, development planning, and appropriate follow-up.
- Discover the keys to preparing for and holding great development planning discussions for others, and for you.
- Identify appropriate development assignments
- Create clear and effective developmental assignment plans
- Develop a mindset of intentional leadership
Reports you’ll receive
This series includes completion of the BestWorkDATA assessment that provides additional insights to help build greater awareness of natural tendencies, challenged tendencies, emotional triggers, and blind spots. As a participant you will receive a full portfolio of the following reports to aid you in becoming the best leader you can be.
- Working With Me Narrative
- Manager's Self-Coaching Report
- Communication Cues
- Management Troubleshooter
- Coaching Me
- Teamwork Strengths
- Management Job Report
- Team Leader Strengths
- BestWorkDATA Assessment
This narrative looks at specific behaviors that are related to working with others so that an employee can gain an understanding of how to be more effective in working relationships.
This narrative provides data on an employee’s natural tendencies in how he/she communicates to others and is specifically focused on talking and listening.
This narrative looks at specific tasks that are related to managing others that an individual may want to explore in greater depth (and as a potential development opportunity to enhance their leadership effectiveness).
This narrative provides data on an employee to help a coach gain an understanding of how to communicate more effectively and assist that employee.
This narrative looks at an employee regarding how he/she works in a team environment.
This narrative looks at specific tasks that are related to managing others so an employee can gain an understanding of how he/she is most likely to perform those tasks.
This narrative provides data on an individual’s strengths as it relates to various leadership approaches.
The BestWorkDATA assessment provides data that measures how an individual performs any type of job behavior. More specifically, it is a tool that highlights a participant’s natural tendencies, and how those tendencies relate to the job or the team in question. Equally effective at both the individual and team levels, data from the assessment can be used to help organizations hire the right candidates, understand performance issues, develop talent, resolve communication problems, and/or build and develop effective teams.
BestWorkDATA assessments measure personality traits and cognitive abilities. Six traits considered foundational make up this section. They are:
- People: The need to work with others, communication of enthusiasm, and the ability to talk and listen
- Rules: Consistency, ability to deal with change, need for structure, ability to follow rules and policies
- Assertiveness: Decision-making, selling and closing ability, ability to handle confrontation, willingness to take direction from others
- Team: Teamwork, collaboration with others, competitiveness
- Details: Planning, spontaneity, time management attitudes, ability to handle details
- Sensitivity: Emotional stability, handling of criticism and feedback, dealing with stress
Within the context of cognitive abilities (i.e., general reasoning), the assessment is not a measure of intelligence, rather it is a measure of one’s ability to handle and process information (i.e., learning speed).
Advantages of BestWorkDATA Assessments
- Completion time of 25 minutes or less
- A fully Internet-based process, meaning no administrative work required by you
- An evaluation of both the participant’s cognitive skills (learning speed), and personal/interpersonal competencies
- Easily readable, narrative reports that can be readily understood for action-planning purposes
- An assessment that is considered, through research and testing, reliable and valid
Is your team ready to build their leadership effectiveness?
If so, contact us today to schedule a free consultation to discuss!
Frequently Asked Questions
What tools or technology do I need to participate?
The virtual coaching sessions will be conducted via Zoom. To get the most out of the sessions, we recommend using a device that has camera and microphone access.
You don’t need to have access to Zoom before making your purchase. After you reserve your spot in the program we will send you instructions for accessing Zoom.
Still have another question?
Click the button below to get in touch with us.
Building Your Leadership Effectiveness
We’ll work with you to pick the right modules for you!
Updated and optimized for virtual delivery, this leadership series is a valuable opportunity to take an objective look at yourself as a leader so you can help grow the people around you—you’ll discover crucial skills for leaders, from self-awareness and influence, to delegation and driving performance.